Sound Mind Group
(Donate Content Now)
Sound Mind 10.
Interested in donating content? Leave us a comment.
The primary focus for the supplementary movies, educational, and informational documentaries and short films is two-pronged.
1. To provide viewers with liberated factual content that reflects the constructive development, evolution, and presence of inspirational LGBTQ urban perspectives/experiences from around the world.
2. To lift the spirits of and boost the morale of LGBTQ incarcerated Americans and all Sound Mind viewers who are contemplatively reality driven to expect better quality form self. Knowing that The Sound Mind Streamer is a special engagement environment specifically designed for them, open, closeted, allies, and the interested, self-contained with ZERO COST to the state.
Sound Mind 11.
The Short List
The following list of movies and docs that we are asking donors to send us for viewing by way of DVD. Email Billie Mizell, San Quentin State Prison for direct donor instructions and information, or to leave comments.
1. Judge William Thomas - first gay black man federal judge
2. * Moonlight - Oscar winner for best film
3. * The Wound - South African foreign film festival 2017
4. * On The Street - homosexuality in Africa
5. The Imitation Game - Allan Turning
6. * Glen Burke - baseball legend, black gay man, Oakland A's
7. Black is Blue - 2015 San Fransisco black film festival
8. American Dreamers - 2015 San Fransisco Latin film festival
9. Viento Parte - 2015 San Fransisco Latin film festival
10. His Wedding Dress - 2015 San Fransisco Latin film festival
11. Alaska is a Drag - 2015 San Fransisco black film festival
12. * Pose - FX TV series by Ryan Murphy
13. * Tough Guise - hip hop documentary
14. * Dakan - first West African gay film
15. Dancing Boys of Afghanistan - doc (PBS?)
Please use the above list as a baseline model for your content donations.
Sound Mind 12.
Divine Urban Serenity
No lewd or pornoz please
Google Kehingle Wiley arts and images
Kehingle Wiley is more than an artist. His work reflects the exact cultural expression we want to display on screen of The Sound Mind Streamer. So imagine Kehingle's work below as a still visual. When inmates put their headphones on, they will hear Chill Type Beats. Yes, each art piece paired with each instrumental urban perspective. Google Chill Type Beats.
Imagine Two Spirit Art. Now imagine images, photos, and art of eunuchs from every culture: India, Korea, Greece, Africa, Arabia, etc. Now imagine each image paired to the Type Beats that represent each culture of the origin of the visuals.
All free access content that inspires, uplifts spirits, and expands cultural diversity and awareness, which adds a new power up mentality for viewers.
The images of the iconoclast Kehingle Wiley alone allows for a new generation of incarcerated inner city youth to view themselves in the fine arts. The Sound Mind Streamer expands this cultural diversity through direct exposure.
Sound Mind 13.
Today I learned that my mother passed away. All of the death row mental health staff have gone home. There is no priest, pastor, Native American chief, no Imam here to consult my low spirit. The last person I want to talk to is this cop that keeps banging on the cell every twenty minutes with a metal beeping device.
I can't tell other inmates that my mother abandoned me when I was 13 years old. After a full childhood of physical abuse and neglect, I'm remembering every second of it as I write this body of work. They don't create TV shows about what i need to experience right now.
And just like that, it dawned on me that it was my mother who made me direct the church children's choir. It was my mother who couldn't stop hugging me when I was called up to sing with the choir of my older sister's middle school graduation. It was the only time she ever hugged me. Yes, in public. Willowbrook Jr. High, 1999 graduation.
She introduced me to the love of her life, Mr. Grant, a legendary music teacher in Los Angeles, California. He managed groups like A Taste of Honey and taught band leader Rickey Minor. It was Mr. Grant who mentored me about music appreciation and how my hip hop generation would carry on our cultural traditions of the fine arts when we've lost our minds.
My mom would say things like, "Music sooths the savage beast." And Mr. Grant would say, "Awwh, Congreve, music has charm to soothe the savage beast." Music therapy for a new generation requires inclusive ethnographic related content which is engaged with respect and value. They even used music to help us face fear.
Okay, so, maybe I was just a kid growing up on the streets of Compton, California, not afraid of nothing due to being numb to violence and danger. But I did have one fear: letting my homies know I could sing and play drums in church and direct the choir. That could get you beat up.
Mama would say, "Boy, God has not given you the spirit of fear, but of a sound mind. Get your head right, and getcho lil' narrow ass out there and be who God made you to be."
Then Mr. Grant would say, "Awwwhh, the Apostle Paul, Second Timothy, Chapter One, Verse Seven: For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
Rest in peace, Mama. I'm being who God made me to be. here comes the sound mind of your seed.
2019 may 5
2019 apr 4
2019 mar 23
2018 nov 7
2018 oct 31
2018 aug 11